Sunday, April 19, 2009

Random Monday

1. I decided to get a website up and running for Feldman Peformance. It's in the works and can't wait for it to be done!

2. I see a lot of people who have been exercising for years on years. It amazes me how many of them are in love with a class at our gym called BodyPump (terrible class but I won't get started). I'd get some heat for saying that I'm sure if the wrong people read my blog but what I'm getting at is how they go through a class like BodyPump or life in general without knowing proper technique of a squat. Classes like BodyPump are a major contributor to why I hear endless people say squats hurt their knees or back. Within two minutes of working with these individuals on squat technique they learn to use their hips/glutes as the mover and magically they can squat pain free. Think how many times you squat to a chair or bend over to pick something during the day. Your lower back and knees will thank you after the squatting movement almost becomes second nature. There are numerous other things that need to be accessed and worked on to progress to proper squat depth for each individual but a book could be wrote on these issues.

3. I try not to write a lot of negative things but there are numerous other things that bother me not only at the gym I train at but I'm sure at just about every other gym in the world, here's a short list of things that get to me:

  • Bent over rowing with a rounded back
  • Endless benching without being able to complete a proper push up
  • Thinking tricep extensions are going to get rid of the flab on the back of your arm
  • Unstable surface training (we have whole classes with Bosu balls!)
  • Devoting a whole day to "shoulders"
  • Thinking running takes the place of squats and deadlifts
  • Getting a sweat going means you had a good workout
  • Leg presses
  • People who train their tails off and don't take care of things outside the gym
  • Looking for a reason you're tired other than the fact that you got 4 hours of sleep the last two nights
  • Thinking of supplements as steroids
  • Not seeing progress toward your goals and still doing the same thing day in and day out
  • Using bumper plates to bench press
  • Static stretching before training

I feel a whole lot better now!

4. What Your Doc Doesn't Know About Weightlifting

No comments: