Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Random Tuesday

1. Before you stretch your lower back or hamstrings you may want to read this:

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/A+Stretching+Fallacy/

I try to explain this a client weekly if not daily but Robertson does a little better job from a anatomy standpoint!

2. I received a text last night from a friend. "What would be the best supplement for me to gain weight and muscle mass?"

Of course I asked him for his email address because I didn't want to just tell him the answer simply. I know I've told him this before but plain and simple if you are going to put on weight you need to EAT. If you think you are eating and not putting weight you need to eat MORE. Yeah I've been through the same situation you think you are eating but you really aren't. Or you tell yourself my metabolism is to fast, I couldn't put on weight if I tried. Well guess what either you eat enough to put on weight or you don't.


Eat Like A Horse!

Sure supplementation is going to be much easier around workouts and at times in the day when you may not have a whole lot of time to eat a solid meal. It's not going to replace "solid" food though!


3. On the other end of the spectrum it amazes me how when people are looking for fat loss they aren't willing to change their eating habits. I give them a couple habit changes that I like to consider simple such as increasing water intake and eating every 2-3 hours. They come back two days later and admit they haven't done either. I know change may be hard but what you've been doing for the past 10 years hasn't worked what makes you think it's going to start working for the next 10 years?

4. Having a day every week or week and half where I cook all my food was the best thing I've started doing. It allows you to first not waste a lot of time cooking during the week but also helps you make good food choices throughout the week. Leftovers taste better anyway.

5. The more I read and learn the more I feel I haven't touched the surface on training. I also look back to a year ago and think if I've learned this much in a year I can't wait for the next couple years.

6. I think people get fat loss and weight loss mixed up or they don't know the difference. Fat loss is just that a decrease in fat mass. Weight loss on the other hand is fat loss that could be accommodated with muscle loss.

Muscle mass is very metabolically active which in the end means you are going to burn off many more calories throughout a day with more muscle mass then with less. Plain and simple. This is why resistance training is very important to long term fat loss. On the other end slow steady cardio can actually end up burning up that muscle mass that is so metabolically active. Guess what that means. You are going to be burn off less calories throughout the day. Think about that the next time you say "resistance training isn't for me" or the next time you hop on that treadmill for a 30 minute run.

Weight Loss or Fat Loss?

No comments: