Thursday, January 22, 2009

Progress

Its been a while. But last week I did deadlift 405 lbs. for the first time in my life which is very exciting. I've been training for really about the last 6-7 years but I'm going to say only really training for about 8-9 months now. I've always loved to train and have really done it ever since I got started early in high school. I've learned more in the past 8-9 months as a trainer then I ever did in my previous training experiences. So really the first 5-6 years of my training almost made things worse for me as far as activation and technique goes.
I also have had shoulder and knee problems for the past 2-3 years and I've always thought it was because first off I was a collegiate baseball player and a catcher at that. Not to mention my pain was in my right shoulder and left knee, which thanks to reading on reading of Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson to name a couple have made me realize this is a very regular thing. Who would have very thought this pain could have diminished this much in the past couple months. Compensation patterns suck. I know baseball had was a factor but terrible programs design along with exercise technique did quite a bit to help in the pain I was having.
It's unbelievable how informed people are on things such as low back, knee, and shoulder pain. It was hard for me believe how far a these following things incorporated into a warm-up can do to improve pain:

1. Myofascial Release - A foam roller may be one of the best investments you can make.

Greatness

2. Activation Work - simply put you can complete a movement, but if you aren't stabilizing or activating the appropriate musculature you're more then likely going to run into problems down the road. Things from X-band walks, scapular push-ups, to glute bridges.

Scapular Wall Slides

3. Dynamic Warm-up - Yes I used to be that kid who did static stretch on static stretch to "get ready and warm" for my training session. Amazing what a little moving around can do.

4. Warm-up sets and reps - You need to get a "feel" of the movement on hand and who wants to throw 300 lbs on their back without a couple warm up sets?

5. Kettlebell Work - No I'm not saying kettlebells are going or should replace a good ole' deadlift by any means but they have helped me in activating that backside also know as the glutes. Not to mention they can be just plain fun.

Glute Activation = Good

6. Footwear - or no footwear. Nike Free may be one of the greatest things invented or just plain barefoot has helped greatly in deadlift and squatting technique and "feel"


Great Choice


Terrible Choice

Well there it is a little list of things that have helped me greatly in my quest to pain free shoulders and knees. I have seen great improvements from just incorporating an extra 10-15 minutes into my training sessions.

No comments: